I got this recipe from a friend with very gross estimations so there’s a lot of eyeballing in this one. It’s a very forgiving recipe so feel free to tailor to your tastes. My mom loves this salad and asks me to make it for Memorial Day or the fourth of July or Labor Day each year.
Typically it’s made with raisins, but this year I substituted Craisins. If you use Splenda instead of sugar, the biggest carb item is the raisins/Craisins.
So in addition to the DOC, this one is for everyone who has tasted it and asked for the recipe. I’m finally writing it down.
Broccoli Craisin/Raisin Salad
- 2 bunches of broccolli or 1 bunch broccoli and 1 bunch cauliflower – heads cut to bite size pieces
- 1 lb of cooked BACON, chopped – doesn’t have to be super crisp, but should be on the crispier side (see picture below)
- 1 cup (or more or less depending on your preference) raisins or in this case Craisins – leave them out entirely if you really want to go low carb
- 1 cup sugar or Splenda
- splash, maybe 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1 cup mayo – pick your version
Combine the broccoli/cauliflower, bacon and raisins or Craisins.
In a separate bowl combine the sugar, vinegar and mayo. Pour over broccoli combo.
Mix to coat.
I promise – it gets rave reviews.